Thursday 17 May 2012

A review of One Way Out Beautiful Grotesque Webzine


http://beautifulgrotesque.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/14846218-ravenscry-one-way-out-review

 Posted by Daniel Bear on May 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Melodic Metal

When I decided to do this review I had only heard the first single “Nobody” and I have to be honest although I really liked the track I feared that it would be another case of allowing my expectations to get carried away only to be disappointed when I got my hands on the full album (which happens all too often). I need not have feared, “One Way Out” is Ravenscry’s first full length release and it is a cracker.

From the thundering opening “Calliope”, which is a great opener and then onto the excellent “Elements Dance” Ravenscry had me hooked from the start. Then we get to the single “Nobody” with vocalist Giulia sounding particularly beautiful. “A Starless Night” leads us into Redemption parts I, II & III, Part one “Rainy” is a gothic ballad which leads into “Reflection” which is an instrumental that gradually changes the mood before leading us into Redemption part three “Far Away”, another fine song.

“Embrace” is another highlight and “Journey” sees Giulia taking a slightly different vocal approach as does the song as a whole, but it works well. “Back to the Fire” takes us back to familiar ground, before “This Funny Dangerous Game” takes us off on another tangent, before we then end on “My Bitter Tale” yet another of the albums high points.

The music throughout has plenty to offer, with lots of change ups and you never quite know what you are going to get, but it all works. A large part of the reason that everything works so well is the varied vocal approaches of the very talented Giulia Stefani, there are so many hugely talented female vocalists around at the moment we are truly spoilt and Giulia rates right up there with the rest of them.

*Personal Highlights

The Final Word
I had not heard a lot about Ravenscry when I decided to do this review and I truly wonder why, this is a very good band and they deserve a hell of a lot more publicity.

Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment